The first Mercury Retrograde of the year will take place from February the 16th to March 9th in Pisces. There is a “Shadow Period” a few weeks before and after the actual Retrograde, which will help you prepare for it and bring you back to normal after. The Shadow Period will be February 2nd to the 16th and March 9th to the 29th.
Although there will be miscommunication of all forms, travel plan mix ups, technology disruptions, and things returning from the past, we will get through this! Luckily, it only lasts 3 weeks and will bring us some much-needed closure, which will shape us into a better version of ourselves before we start something new.
Since this retrograde is in Pisces, a dreamy and emotional sign, expect an increase in emotional sensitivity. You will probably spend time reflecting on your spirituality and connecting with the people around you on a deeper level. During this retrograde, you may experience an inner conflict between your feelings and your thoughts, which can cause you to feel moody, indecisive, and anxious. This period will help you share your feelings more openly, but can easily come off differently than intended.
This may be a really chaotic time. Everything may seem out of your control, but trust in divine timing. Things are taking place to bring you closer to your desires. The more aware you are of what’s happening and why, the better you can make use of your time and energy.
What is Mecury Retrograde?
Every planet goes retrograde at some point in the year, which is when the planet slows down and appears to be spinning in the opposite direction while the earth starts to spin faster. The retrograde motion is only an optical illusion though. No planet ever actually changes direction, but this illusion does impact you depending on what areas the planet going retrograde rules or governs. Retrograde comes from the Latin word “retrogradus”, which means backward step. Although moving forward and not looking back seems easier, we have to remember where we've been to see what’s ahead or where to go next. See each Retrograde as an opportunity to step back and handle unfinished business in a certain area in life to prepare us for something greater.
The planet Mercury is named after the messenger of the Greek Gods, who was know as a translator and transporter of goods, and is associated with Gemini and Virgo, known as the “intellects” and messengers of the zodiac signs. Mercury governs the transfer of information, communication, transportation, travel, technology, and contracts. When Mercury goes retrograde, every one of these areas seem to be “out of sorts” and communication is especially stagnated. Since we have become so technology orientated, it is usually a very chaotic time. This cycle will be frustrating and shine a light on things we want to keep in the dark, but it is needed to make us stop and go over things, so when it’s over we can move forward with a clean slate.
What to expect?
During Mercury Retrograde, you will feel like you are reviewing how far you’ve come and dealing with the things you’ve been trying to avoid. See this as a chance to declutter and let go of what you’ve been holding onto, which isn’t worth hanging onto anymore.
You can expect technological disruptions of all kinds, even your wi-fi may not work as fast or lose connection. There may be some delayed or cancelled flights. Your emails could get lost or sent to the wrong people.
It’s likely that you’ll run into people you haven’t seen or heard from in a long time. You may hear from an old fling or rekindle a romance, which will make you wonder if this was the one or make you feel like you missed out. Despite how you may feel, the person may be brought forward to bring you closure. Relationships that begin during Mercury Retrograde are usually meant to help you let go of someone or a situation in the past, in order for you to move forward.
Tips For Mercury Retrograde:
1. Since Mercury rules communication, think carefully about what you want to say before speaking. It will be easier to send mixed signals and say things you don’t really mean.
2. You should reread emails, documents and text messages before sending them, because you may be easily distracted or have trouble getting a clear message across.
3. Review previous commitments and contracts. Renewing contracts is a good idea now, but it’s best not to make new commitments and to wait until this Retrograde is over to sign anything new.
4.Prepare for the worst with travel by packing emergency roadside kits and leaving early for flights, dates or important meetings. Reconfirming any plans would be a good idea.
5. Mercuries rule over the postal system can affect mail and packages. If you have something important being delivered, try to track them to ensure they end up in the right place.
6. Let go of unresolved arguments or unprocessed emotions.
7. Backup your icloud and data.
8. Try not to buy new technology or vehicles, unless they have a warranty or return policy.
9. Finish projects before starting anything new.
10. It’s easy for rumors or false information to be spread during Mercury Retrograde, so try not to react quickly or impulsively.